Wednesday, September 22, 2010

On the TrainingSide

Despite the two gas colics, I have been slowly progressing with Trevor.

I stil take him on walks down the road and through the vineyard, as well as our lunge sessions. The lunge sessions have expanded to free lunging which allows him more freedom to make decisions and still be respectful of me.

As the "EVERYTIME lunging" before I get on and ride, Trevor has graduated to a walk around the arena in both directions. On the days he is rather fresh, I incorporate "moving away" exercises.

This decision was made for two reasons: 1) As with all horse shows, lunging is not always an option sooooooooooo we better use other ways of relaxing in new places. Don't forget to chew!!! 2) Since he is recovering and getting stronger, the need for a non-weighted warm-up becomes less of an issue.

It has been a real pleasure getting to know Trevor and see him become the confident, brillant horse I know has been hiding in there. We've been to four schooling shows this year and plan on one more come October. "A" shows here we come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment